The West Studio got November off to an exciting start as we traveled to the 2015 ASLA Meeting and Expo in Chicago, Illinois. We arrived to unusually balmy temperatures and clear blue skies over this beautiful city.
This year we are pleased to announce that our associate Ann Dinthongsai accepted a Student Honor Award for community service with her UW Design/Build team led by Daniel Winterbottom. We are very proud of Ann and her amazing talents. The project, Kintsugi Garden: The Meaning of Mending, was designed and built for the Japanese Cultural Community Center, in Seattle, as both a memorial and contemplative therapeutic garden serving the community.
The October issue of Landscape Architecture Magazine features more information on this winning project, and is [available online for free here]. The full design team included: Biruk Belay Yoseph, Scott Boetjer, Chiu-Hau Chang, Janice Chen, Shih-Chia Chiu, Cami Culbertson, Ann Dinthongsai, Machiyo Fujii, Lindsey Gadbois, Graham Golbuff, Shu-Kuei Hsu, Eunice Lo, Caitlyn Lockhart, Alyse Wright, Xiao Yang, Zhou Shaoxuan, and Xiaoyang Zhu.
Along with the opportunities to visit with old and new friends, Ann and Audrey participated in three Professional Practice Network meetings: Healthcare + Therapeutic Design, Children's Outdoor Environments and Housing + Community. They also attended a lot of amazing education sessions to build on the knowledge base of The West Studio, including:
- Urban Green Space and Mental Well-being: Evidence-Based Design.
- Chicago's Therapeutic Healing Spaces.
- Designing for Cultural Identity: Chicago Case Studies.
- Breaking the Mold: (Designing) the Inspirational Workplace.
- Food Roof: a Case Study on Urban Agriculture.
- Lessons from the Green Roof Field: Measuring Success.
- Inclusive Design: Dispelling Myths and Managing Expectations.
- Inclusive Design: Designing the Outdoor Experience.
- Programming and Planning Inclusive Design in the Larger Recreation Landscape.
- Accessible Design as Good Design.
- Organic Landscape Management: Perception vs. Reality.
- Landscape Architects Hiring Landscape Architects: Consultant Selection.
- Landscape Performance: Determining What and How to Measure.
- Learning From Our Work: the SWA Post Occupancy Initiative.
- Collaborate, Not Compete: A New Paradigm for Design.
See you all in New Orleans for next year's ASLA Meeting and Expo!